During their training towards becoming b’nei mitzvah, our students will apply the skills developed in religious school as they engage in the study of the reading and chanting of our ancient texts and prayers. Our goal is to empower our students with the ability to participate comfortably and proficiently in a Jewish worship setting while kindling within them a love of Jewish liturgy and tradition that will stay with them beyond the b’nei mitzvah year.
Our tutoring program begins approximately six (6) months prior to the student’s b’nei mitzvah service date. At the conclusion of the tutoring process, we expect that our students will be able to accomplish the following:
- Chant / recite the blessings for reading the Torah and haftarah (a reading thematically connected to the Torah portion, usually from one of the prophetic books of the Hebrew Bible).
- Chant / read a portion of the weekly Torah and haftarah readings.
- Summarize the ideas of the Torah and haftarah readings.
- Recite the major Hebrew prayers from the service with fluency and accuracy.
- Demonstrate understanding of the basic meanings of the prayers and blessings studied.
Understanding that all children are different, we adapt our course of study for b’nei mitzvah to meet the needs and ability levels of each individual student.
Additional responsibilities include:
Click here for the Temple Beth-El B’nei Mitzvah Handbook.